Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Table Runner Apron

This is me standing in front of my FAVORITE mirror that misshapes my body enough to make me look ten pounds lighter. I suggest that everyone finds a mirror like this...it has truly blessed my life.


I wanted to make my little sis-in-law a graduation/going off to college gift and I only had a few hours. So I had to get creative. Anyway, I thought I'd share the process with you.

What you'll need:
Table runner (or piece of fabric that measures approx. 18" wide and 54" long)
Piece of coordinating fabric for ties (about 36'' long and 12" wide)
Piping for pocket (if you choose to do this)
Coordinating Thread


Step 1:
Get a table runner. This runner is from Ikea, but you can find these everywhere (I want to find an antique runner for my next apron).


Step 2:
Wrap the runner around your waist (thinking of how wide you'd like your apron to be). Or just measure from one side of you to the other adding an inch for your seam allowance.


Step 3:
Cut your runner. Now you will have two pieces of material. One for the lower half of your apron and the other for the top half.


Step 4:
Now it's time for the top. Hold the second piece of fabric up to you and decide how wide you'd like the top half to be. Cut, fold over raw edge and sew.




Step 5:
Now decide how long you'd like the bodice of your apron to be. Just hold it up to yourself and make the decision and mark it somehow.


Step 6: After you have decided on length, cut the fabric. You will be using the excess fabric for a front pocket (you don't have to do a pocket, it's just a nice little touch). Decide where on the apron you'd like your pocket. I chose the skirt part. I also chose to line it with red piping...again do what you want. Sew on your pocket.




Step 7:
Now it's time to sew the top and bottom halves together. Make sure to fold over the raw edge you just created on the top half before you sew so you don't have any raw edges hanging out.



Step 8:
Now it's time to make your ties and neck thingy. You'll need a long scrap of fabric. Mine was about two yards long and about 1/4 yard wide. Just cut it into about 3 inch wide strips...you'll need three. Then fold over and over again and sew together on the edge...easy peasy.




Step 9:
Now pin one end of one of your ties to the top of your apron and put around neck to decide how long you'd like it to be...mark, pin and sew. Make sure to sew the raw edges over so it looks really finished. Next sew the other ties on to each side of the skirt/bottom part of your apron. Finish edges and...



YOU ARE DONE! Enjoy! We put a gift card to Ikea in the pocket for my sis-in-law to get some kitchen supplies for school...it was a great gift that was fast, fun, and easy to make! If you actually do this, will you let me know? I'd love to see your finished product!