Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The Most AMAZING Bread Recipe


UPDATE: 

1. First of all I want to make it perfectly clear that this is NOT my recipe.  I wish I was that smart.  The women of Pantry Secrets have been working on and perfecting this recipe for years.  I would really encourage you to visit their blog and see all of the wonderful things they have to offer.


2. Second, many of you live in more wet/humid places than me here in the dry desert.  So you may have to add a little more flour.  Just experiment a bit and you will have success.  I promise it is easy and the results are FABULOUS!

I've never been very good at making my own bread. I've always wanted to be good at it but it just has never seemed to work for me. Either it doesn't rise correctly or it is crumbly or it's as hard as a rock.

That has all changed with this recipe. My mother-in-law invited me to a Pantry Secrets class the other night and since then...I have become a bread making MACHINE! I thought I'd share it with you.

Here it is:

PANTRY SECRETS Homemade Bread Recipe - From Start to Finish in ONE hour

10 1/2 cups white bread flour or wheat flour (do not use all-purpose flour)
1/2 cup sugar (white, brown, or honey)
1 Tbsp. salt
3 rounded Tbsp. SAF instant wheat (you need this kind of yeast...if they don't have it at your local store you can get it here)
3 Tbsp liquid lecithin (this is a mild preservative and a soy product and is really good for you...you can get it at a health food store or order it here)
4 cups hot tap water

Mix dry ingredients. Add lecithin by pouring approximately 3 Tbsp. of lecithin directly into the bowl. Do not measure (it looks like three quarter coins in size) and water. Mix for 1 minute and check consistency. If dough is too dry, add more water. Dough should be sticky (almost looks like cookie dough). Mix for five minutes. (Do not add flour to the dough after is has finished mixing). Spray counter, hands and pan with Pam (or any oil will work). Shape loaves and cover with dish towel. Let raise for 25 mins. Bake at 350 for 25 mins. This recipe makes four loaves of bread.

Note: For whole wheat bread use the same recipe but add one cup of warm applesauce as part of the hot tap water and 1 additional Tbsp. of lecithin. Mix for ten minutes instead of five.

Another note: If you are using a Kitchenaid artisan style mixer, it is best to half this recipe.

The cool thing about this recipe is that you can make all kinds of things besides just loaves of bread. So far I have made stuffed crust pizza, artisan bread, french bread, cinnamon rolls, a wonderful cream cheese blackberry braid, focaccia bread, baguettes...you can use it for so many things and if you stick to the recipe, it works EVERY time and seriously only takes an hour (or less) from start to finish! Another thing I love about the ingredients is that they can all be stored. There is no need for eggs, milk or oil...very cool.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions. Also, if you want to learn how to make 50 different things from this recipe I'd suggest you get this DVD. I promise you won't regret it. I can honestly say that this class has changed my life....sounds dramatic I know, but it's true!

I had to take a picture of my first attempt at stuffed crust pizza. I literally had this out of the oven in less time than having a pizza delivered. I figured out that it only cost me $3 to make and it fed us for two meals...it was HUGE ( I made some dipping sauce for the crust...it was like having yummy bread sticks with cheese in the middle).